HISTORY OF FETTER CARTRIDGE PLANT
N.N.Fetter - a merchant of guild II. Director of the Company "Telephone" (Moscow) and the Society "N.Fetter and E.Ginkel" (Moscow, arms and hardware sales). A.N. Bokhanov Business Elite of Russia 1914.
History of Fetter cartridge plant dates back to the end of the XIX — beginning of the XX century. At that time Moscow merchant Nikolay Fetter lived in a large village Alekseevskaya located next to border post Krestovskaya in Moscow District. Being a descendant of the russified German engineers and manufacturers he established the production of “copper gun shells and paper hunt shells, and revolver cartridges, wads and shot”.
The new company started with foreign products wholesale; it began to teach Russian craftsmen and manufacturers to produce metal products of equal quality and price overseas. A number of private and subsidized companies appeared, as well as metal factories, arms and hardware workshops, enamelware factory. The number of employees and workers amounted for thousands.
Before October Revolution Business Association of the Moscow Shot-Casting and Cartridge Plant employed several hundreds of engineers and workers, owned a well-known small-arms shop “DIANA” at Teatralnyi Lane, had departments at Nizhegorodskaya Fair, Irbitskaya Fair, in Pavlov, Tula, Vladivostok. It was engaged in a wide trade practically in all Russian cities and abroad. Trading was quite a success in Remscheid, close to the famous Solingen, known as the city of German gunsmiths. The Association was also engaged in construction of social and electrical facilities in Russia. The first power plant in Rostov-on-Don was built in 1896 by the Moscow firm "N. Vetter and E. Ginkel "and was located along Nikolaev alley in the city garden. On September 15 the first electric lights lit up in the city.
Since 1904 “office and wholesale store of the Business Association of the Moscow Shot-Casting and Cartridge Plant”, affiliate of the “N. Fetter and E. Hinkel” trading house, was situated in a private house in the very center of the capital at the corner of Rozhdestvenka Street and Varsonofievsky Lane. This trading house was known for its shops selling different hardware and high quality arms.
Nikolay Fetter graduated from the Moscow Petro-Pavlovskaya School and entered the Argenalder’s Dispatch Office. He studied merchandizing there and then got the job at the Goss firm in Petersburg which was engaged in wholesale of arms and hardware. Being a hard working person of great abilities, uncommon honesty he soon became one of the top employees. He moved to Moscow again as an agent and a head of the company where he met another young colleague – Egor Hinkel who also graduated from the Petersburg Petro-Pavlovskaya School.
Being a member of the Brotherly Kindness Association N. Fetter contributed money for poor children and orphans education, for accommodation purchasing for indigents. He established a free outpatient clinic at Miasnitskaya Street in Moscow; next to the Schelkovka estate he built a hospital which cost him 80 thousand rubles; founded a school in Vereysky District. He bought a Boldino Estate close to Solnechnogorsk which belonged to a famous historian V.N. Tatischev and brought it to a perfect condition – restored the constructions and renewed the gardens and ponds.
Fetter died in 1912; he legated 75 thousand rubles to his old employees. A big artistic tombstone – stele was placed on his grave at Vvedenskoye Cemetery in Moscow (section 14, next to the main road). The marble insert-plate on the stele shows an image of Christ in the crown of thorns made by sculptor A.S. Golubkina.